Coq Au Vin which is French for “Chicken in Wine” is a classic dish that delivers big flavor and is super simple to prepare. With minimal effort you can make a dinner that looks like you worked on it all day. Just follow the easy recipe below!
- 8 Bone in Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/4lb Bacon
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Bottle Dry Red Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 8 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1/2lb Mushrooms
- Classic Steak Seasoning
- Maple Reserve
- Get your Big Green Egg fired up for direct cooking at 350 degrees
- In a large cast iron dutch oven preheat the olive oil. Slice bacon in large chunks and fry until browned then remove from pot
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with Maple Reserve and brown in the bacon grease (brown 4 at a time as to not overcrowded the pot) remove from pot
- Cut your carrots and onions in medium sized pieces add them to the pot and season with Classic Steak then cook for about 10-12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until browned being carful not to burn. Pour in a splash of red wine to deglaze the pan, stir and scrape the bottom.
- Remove pot from your Big Green Egg and set aside. Put platesetter into BGE and set temperature to 300 degrees
- Add the chicken, bacon, and the remaining red wine to the pot along with the thyme and chicken stock. Place cover on pot and place dutch oven in Big Green Egg for 1hr 20min
- Slice mushrooms and stir into pot during the last 20min along with the melted butter. At this point leave the lid off to thicken the broth.
- Remove from Big Green Egg and enjoy!!