Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 6 Beef Short Ribs. bone-in
- Wassi's Classic Steak Rub
- Olive Oil
- 1 yellow Onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 750-ml bottle of good cabernet wine
- 6 cups beef stock
1. Set up Big Green Egg for direct cooking (ConvEGGtor out) to 350 degrees. Season the short ribs liberally with Wassi's Classic Steak Rub. Add the olive oil to your Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Add theshort ribs and brown on all sides. Work in batches if you are crowding the pan.
2. Remove the ribs. Pour off excess fat and add the chopped vegetables. Sauté until browned. Remove from pan.
3. Add wine to the pan to deglaze. Scrape bottom and sides well. Continue cooking until the wine is reduced by about 3/4's. Should be thick and syrupy.
About 15 min.
4,. Put the ConvEGGtor in (Egg temp. should drop to about 325 degrees) Add theshort ribs to the Dutch oven along with the Beef stock to cover. Cover the pan and cook for approx. 2 to 2 1/2 hr. or until the short ribs are fork tender.
During the last 1/2 hour of cooking add back the sautéed vegetables.
Let rest for 15 minutes. Serve over potatoes or polenta.